Santa Claus’ Reindeer Names: Who is Donder?

Posted by Santa Claus on November 5th, 2008

I love reading the messages you leave on my blog.  I read every single one!  A few people wanted to know the reindeer names.  Did you know I have a reindeer named Donder?

I hear a lot of people asking, “What are Santa’s reindeer names?”.  Well, the reindeer names in order are Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen.  And Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen!  And of course Rudolph leads my sleigh.  But I said I had a reindeer named Donder.  Well, can I tell you a secret?  Surprise!  Donder and Donner are the same reindeer!

There is a poem by Clement Clarke Moore.  It is almost 200 years old.  Do you know it?  Here is a little bit that has a list of the reindeer names:

“Now, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! On Cupid! On, DONDER and Blitzen!
To the top of the porch! To the top of the wall!
Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!”

The name of the poem was “A Visit From Saint Nicholas”.  But now the poem goes by the name “The Night Before Christmas”.  (…when all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse!  Do you remember it now? :) )

Well, a little after that poem changed its name, Donder decided to change his name!  He changed his name to Donner.  He said it was because of some personal growth he had been going through.  Ho! Ho! Ho!  Of course, some elves think he just liked it better.  Donner is easier to say after all!

Then, a little while ago, he was thinking about changing his name again.  He was thinking of changing his name to “The Reindeer Formerly Known as Donner”.  (I wonder where he got that idea from?).  He is a silly reindeer.  But that is one of the reasons why we love him so much!

P.S.  Do your friends or family call you by any other names?  (Scroll down to leave your message for Santa or to see what others have written!)

118 Responses to “Santa Claus’ Reindeer Names: Who is Donder?”

My friend aimee said:

we belive

My friend elora said:

ireally want a phone please get me one for christmas

My friend elora said:

hi santa i have been a good girl i wish i have a sweat shirt and a phone for chrismas

My friend della said:

I want a baby girl nice and cute….

My friend mary said:

i like some chocolates,baby needs for my brother,special gifts for my family,and lastly my gift of course hope you do not mind.

mary,

My friend patrick said:

hi! santa i love you, i wish to a iphone on this christmas,, i love all of your reindeer,

My friend courtney said:

I LOVE YOU SANTA CLAUS I HAVE BEEN A GOOD GIRL.

My friend courtney said:

i loove the raindeers all of them and i belivie in santa. I HAVE BEEN A GOOD GIRL TELL SANTA CLAUS I NO HE IS WATCH ALL THE GOOD GIRLS AND BOYS.

LOVE , COURTNEY MCCANN

My friend kylee said:

hii santa i hope i get a phone for christmas but i was a littel naghuti

My friend holly anne zednik said:

dasher prancer coment vixen qupid dancer doner blixen rudogh

My friend olivia said:

Santa who is Oliver hes never a raindeer on the movie

My friend olivia said:

Santa i can scare people by saying mistle toe…

My friend malachi said:

yes i have a nick name it is bubby tode

ps you are the best

My friend george said:

youre web site is so cool i will spread the word im telling people to come on the website

My friend maxine said:

coooooool theeee bestttttt

My friend benjamin said:

hay santa i’am benjamin in [deleted by the elves -- never put your street address, phone number or email address on the Internet -- its not safe!] and i like when you give us presents and like four wheelers and bikes and aouther stuff.

My friend destiny said:

i get called dest

My friend pjnnn said:

Cool! I never new Donner’s real name is Donder that is the coolest like in the whole world but I still think you should’ve kept his name to Donder it is still a really cool name you now Santa Clause!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave A Message For Santa About “Santa Claus’ Reindeer Names: Who is Donder?”

P.P.S. Your computer's IP address is 54.225.1.70 ;)